[debian-non-standard] ubifs sounds interesting

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sat Mar 29 22:25:39 CET 2008

Martin Steigerwald schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Dunno tough how its chances are to go into mainline kernel. UBI is already
> in there. And whether its also suitable for USB sticks that do wear
> leveling on their own already.
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/UBI_File_System

AFAIK, UBI is for flash media only.

This means it can't be used on arbitrary block devices, like USB-sticks.

Although USB-sticks do some sort of wear levelling on their own, doing
it on the filesystem level could be still beneficial in some cases.

There is already a wear-levelling filesystem for Linux which works both
on flash media and block devices. Additionally, it provides transparent
compression - flash based media (like USB-sticks) is still expensive.
The fs is called logfs and can be found on http://logfs.org

I'm not sure if logfs is stable enough right now. Last time I checked,
it was not possible to boot the system from logfs (it was possible to
work on such filesystem as a non-rootfs filesystem, though), was quite
slow etc.

The things might be different/better today, though.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org