[debian-non-standard] wl500gP 128MB memory upgrade ?

Igor Videc igor.videc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 00:09:29 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
> Igor Videc schrieb:
>

> > Hy all,
> >
> > I have setup a wl500gP with debian as per instructions on
> > http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_ASUS_WL-500G_deluxe .
> > It runs great with a 2.5'' notebook hdd on usb2.0.
> > As I started adding more services I noticed that ram usage went above
> > 32MB and swap was getting used a lot.
> > If you read http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=12962 it sounds
> > perfectly possible to upgrade to 128MB of ram which would make wl500gP
> > one fantastic small debian system.
> > For the 128MB support it is neccessary to have this patch
> > http://oleg.wl500g.info/wl500gp/kernel-mvista-mem.patch (or maybe not
> > ?).
> > Is that patch already included ?
> > If not, can it be ?
> > I'm not that much into kernel compiling(not at all) and have no idea
> > if that is applicable to 2.6.19.2 in use at the moment(the newer
> > kernels are not stable?) ?
> > I would rather know in advance before I disassemble my router :-)
> >

>  No, this patch is not included.
>
>  But as you download it, you will see it's really trivial and should apply
> without problems.
>
>  You're brave to do these intrusive things to your router ;)

I got 5 of these routers pretty cheap(second hand, 30€) so for the
sake of experimenting I think it is worth it :-)

If I understand correctly according to
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=14560 if I add
wget --no-check-certificate -q -m -nd -O -
"https://dev.openwrt.org/attachment/ticket/3177/detect-128mb-ram.diff?format=raw"
| patch -p0
right after svn checkout --revision 6850
https://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk/ according to your instructions
then that should apply the patch ?
As I have never before even tried compiling the kernel I have no idea
if this is the right step to make ?

Thanks

Igor