[debian-non-standard] Debian on Thecus5200: how to read ide 44-pin

elmer at leet.la elmer at leet.la
Sat Jul 19 11:07:23 CEST 2008

*

hello,

  I bought a new and bigger Transcend IDE 44 Pin Horizontal to replace the  original one.
  But how can i read it ?
  I know it's a 44pin like a 2.5 ide laptop drive
  So i tried to read it from my computer, with a usb external case 2.5 but it  cant
  In the device manager of windows i see it appears "usb mass storage"  with yellow exclamation point.
  I tried with a linux pc but it cant read it neither.(i/o errors in syslog).
  But it does same problem with the original thecus disk. So i know it's not a  problem with the new one.
  I even tried directly with my laptop (i replaced my disk with the transcend).

  Do I need a special dedicated reader ?

  My plan is to install a distribution from another PC and then plug it into the  thecus. (as described here: http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_Thecus_n5200 "once you  have a bigger IDE flash disk, it should be easier if you perform an  installation on another machine. When it's complete, just put that IDE flash  disk to Thecus n5200, and you're done - you have a distro of your choice on  n5200" )

  Thanks

elmer