[debian-non-standard] ubifs

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Sep 28 18:50:29 CEST 2008

Martin Steigerwald schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Would ubifs on ubi make sense for the flash ROM portion of OpenWRT which
> is an MTD device? It is included in 2.6.27[1]. It appears to be writable,
> so one might even update a kernel without reflashing the whole OpenWRT
> image.

Debia is too large to fit 4 or 8 MB flash, so no, using flash wouldn't
make sense here, whether it's ubifs or squashfs.
It is obligatory to have a kernel there of course.

> Otherwise the kexec/kdump approach would allow having the kernel on the
> USB stick.

Yep. I couldn't make it work with ASUS WL-500gP, even with 2.5.25 kernel
- search kexec mailing list for details.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org