[debian-non-standard] Debian on FSG - status/help

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Jan 13 11:20:23 CET 2009

tsr schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I've finally gotten around to fix my FSG-3 and finalize the installation
> of Debian on it (it all started 18 months ago with my bricking it ;)).
>
> And yes, disclaimer: I am a newbie, but I am not that bad at following
> instructions read the manuals (as long as there are manuals and someone
> that can point me in the right direction).
>
> So, now I would like to know the status of the support.
>
> - Is the marvel wireless card supported in any available kernel?

It was not in August 2008:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/libertas-dev/2008-August/001904.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/libertas-dev/2008-August/001905.html

> - How is it going with the LEDs and buttons?

They are "hardcoded" to reboot/shutdown initiated from within the kernel.

There is a fand when you look at openfsg.org (expect a few glitches though).

> More specific help wanted (that frankly is more general linux/Debian
> related than FSG):
>
> - marvell wireless: I've seen then maxtor-package containing some kind
> of driver for the card, but honestly I just don't understand what I
> should compile from it. Alternatevly I've found a menuconfig output
> showing the marvell as an option (but I seem can't to find it again -
> more digging) any pointers?

I don't think you can compile it from these sources with a recent kernel.
You might try asking at linux-wireless list about the support for this
card - maybe something changed since August 2008.

> - how do I set up my FSG to work as a wireless router (as long as I get
> the wireless card working)? I have an incoming connection in the
> WAN-port (that is eth1) that I would like to share among a few computers
> here at home.

Obviously, you need wireless working first ;)
Other than that, configure simple masquerading, done.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org