[debian-non-standard] 2.6.31.1 images, with btrfs support

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Sep 29 12:38:47 CEST 2009

Hi,

I made 2.6.31.1 kernel images for ASUS WL-500gP (and similar MIPS):

http://www1.wpkg.org/debian-asus/2.6.31/

The kernel includes built in btrfs support. My main interest in btrfs was that it supports compression.
It allows to save some space on these all expensive USB-sticks (i.e. a 32 GB USB-stick costs about the same as a 1 TB HDD).

To use the compression, you can use the following entry in /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1           /               btrfs    defaults,noatime,ssd,compress  0       1

btrfs also includes some ssd optimizations.

Of course, /dev/sda1 has to be formatted with btrfs first.

Let me know if you have any issues with this kernel.

I did not try if Broadcom wireless finally works better with this release, as I use an Atheros card.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org