[debian-non-standard] 2.6.30 kernel for ASUS WL-500g*

Aryanto Rachmad aryanto at chello.at
Tue Sep 15 01:06:13 CEST 2009

Hello Tomasz and Martin,

I am not sure if I have ever posted to this list, so greeting to every one.

It has been a long time since I played around with WLAN router. And I
was surprised to see a discussion about using the recent kernel on ASUS
router. So I am interested to start playing around again, as I just got
a quite cheap old bricked WL-500gP which I just un-bricked. :)

What I plan to do with this router is to upgrade the RAM to 128MB,
change the Mini-PCI to Atheros and have a Debian Lenny on it. For that I
have a few questions:

1. How do we use this kernel 2.6.30 that you have been discussing here?

   A few years back, when I tried to have Debian running on my old
WL-500g Deluxe, I used Openwrt to boot it then chroot to Debian on USB
hard disk. Is it still the case now?

2. Is the kernel 2.6.30 on http://www1.wpkg.org/debian-asus/2.6.30/
compiled with glibc or uclibc?

3.  Does the original ASUS WL-500gP Broadcom Mini-PCI work with kernel
2.6.30?

    If not, would it be better to have Atheros based Mini-PCI? If so,
which Atheros based Mini-PCI is known to work well?

4. Is the patch to have 128MB RAM included in this kernel 2.6.30?

I guess that is all (for now). Thanks a lot in advance for your responses.

Kind regards,

Anto