[debian-non-standard] 2.6.30 kernel for ASUS WL-500g*

Aryanto Rachmad aryanto at chello.at
Tue Sep 15 21:55:57 CEST 2009

Hello Tomasz,

Please find my comments/replies interleaved into your email.

Kind regards,

Anto

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Aryanto Rachmad wrote:
>
>> 1. How do we use this kernel 2.6.30 that you have been discussing here?
>
> Just flash the 2.6.30 image from the link you provided below.
>

>>   A few years back, when I tried to have Debian running on my old
>> WL-500g Deluxe, I used Openwrt to boot it then chroot to Debian on
>> USB hard disk. Is it still the case now?
>
> No, it does not make much sense to run a full operating system which
> is chrooted - especially on such small devices.
> For once, you would take precious RAM to keep the "main" system
> running, and then the chrooted one.
> Second, not everything chrooted works as it should (or you have to
> spend additional time to make everything run correctly in a chrooted
> environment).

I am sorry I think I missed the idea of this debian-non-standard. If we
would not do any chroot to a storage, e.g. USB hard disk for WL-500g*,
then we would have to put all the Debian modules and packages that we
need into the Flash, which I don't it is possible. So how would we have
some Debian Lenny packages like web server, etc., if we would not do
chroot?

On the other hand, I agree with you that chroot environment has a lot of
disadvantages. But how would we boot the kernel directly from the USB
hard disk?

>> 2. Is the kernel 2.6.30 on http://www1.wpkg.org/debian-asus/2.6.30/
>> compiled with glibc or uclibc?
>
> Linux Kernels use neither glibc nor uclibc.
I think somewhere we have to specify the type of libc to be used in
compiling the kernel (or maybe kernel modules, I forgot), so that we can
re-compile Openwrt packages in Debian environment.