[debian-non-standard] native compiling on Debian-Asus

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Oct 13 10:16:19 CEST 2009

mkloeckner at arcor.de wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I sucessfully managed to bootstrap a Debian Lenny image and boot it on my WL500gP using your 2.6.31.1 Kernel. Thank you so far for this! :)
>
> Now I need to compile little packages for it and want to compile it natively on the box. I tried several toolchains and still dont have success with it. Either I get tons of compilation errors or I get segmentation faults or "cannot run binary" errors.
>
> I asked the openwrt forum and got a tipp to use this toolchain: http://impactlinux.com/code/firmware/downloads/binaries/native-compiler-mipsel.tar.bz2
> (Forum: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=22123)
> This toolchain works flawlessly on standard openwrt builds, but not on this custom kernel. I get a "cannot run binary" error. :(
>
> Do you know why it doesnt work an Debian but on openWRT? And why don't the "build-essential" packages by Debian work for this custom kernel?
> Do you know a toolchain which would do the work for me?

If you run Debian, use Debian tools on it.

Debian uses glibc, where OpenWRT uses uClibc as a C library.

They are not compatible, so anything linked with uClibc (OpenWRT) will
not work on Debian - and it works both ways.

So to compile anything on your Debian (MIPS), just install proper tools:

# apt-get install libc6-dev gcc

And compile natively.

Can't be simpler as that.

--