[debian-non-standard] Strange file system error

Sven Nieslony sven.nieslony at netviewer.com
Tue Apr 6 16:15:41 CEST 2010

> Am 06.04.2010 15:30, Frank Loeffler wrote:
> > Are those two of a different type
> > and size, or similar by any chance? Maybe there is a problem with a
> > certain size of stick or a certain type/vendor?

The two sticks are different type/vendor, but the first always lost its swap space at the end of the disk and shows a very strange size. I'm sure it is damaged so I've
changed the stick.
Is it possible to destroy the Asus with a broken swap? I don't hope so

> > For testing purposes you could also try to limit the USB speed to
> USB1
> > and see if that changes anything (I hope not).

I either don't hope this will fix it, but I will give it a try later.

> > Which filesystem did you use?

A ext3 formatted partition with the tar provided by wpkg.org (debian-mipsel-2007-Apr-17.tar.bz2)

> > If you setup a running system on the asus, could you test the other
> stick
> > by writing a large file onto it, and comparing the result to the
> original?

I will try this and report the result.

> I had a similar issue with a USB stick bought on eBay - I suppose it is
> pirated and does not contain all memory cells.
>
> Do a write test on all surface, with:
>
> badblocks -v -w /dev/sdX

Good idea! I didn't know badblocks but it sounds to be the best tool for that.

Your responses show me it can work! So I will try harder now! I just didn't want to beat a dead horse...

Regards Sven