[debian-non-standard] Upgrading Asus WL500g premium from Lenny to Squeeze

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Apr 13 23:04:14 CEST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 25. August 2011 schrieb Frank Loeffler:
> Hi Martin,

Hi Thomasz and Frank, hi everyone.

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 06:36:48PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > I have Debian Lenny with kernel 2.6.30 from you, Tomasz (wpkg.org).
> > What would be recommended update procedure? First building a new
> > kernel or first aptitude/apt-get dist-upgrading the system?
>
> I don't have an answer unfortunately, but I would like to express my
> interest in your experiences. It might be good to post whatever you
> find to the list. I also have one of those around and free to play
> with.

I just upgraded. And it worked just fine. Well since Squeeze can run with a
Lenny kernel, why shouldn´t it run with 2.6.30.

I used an external harddisk for swap and /tmp and /var/tmp during upgrade
;).

Kernel is still 2.6.30.

I did some additional stuff:

- removed /etc/init.d/makedirs.sh, cause I thought rsyslog should just do
fine without it and it seems it does

- moved swappiness = 0 setting from there to /etc/sysctl.d/swappiness.conf

- Added LSB headers to my switch configuration script

- Enabled dependency based boot

- And finally implemented a rather dump fix for time is not right when DSL
comes up late - I moved DSL to inittab, cause only then it seems to come
up in all cases and is restarted when connection is dropped

Anyway, on interest I can attach the switch configuration script as well as
my get time right work-around tomorrow.

I plan to upgrade the kernel too. Sometime.

And maybe move the USB stick to ext4 or even BTRFS:

;)

Ciao,