[iodine-users] -b option

Dmitry Shyshkin dmitry.shyshkin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 06:08:33 CET 2011

> What means "not fully transparent". What does not work? Why not in
> production environments?
Request is decoded and then encoded again inside iodine. Only one
question per packet is supported (dns protocol allow multiple question
to be asked)
Requests with id 0 are ignored, this mean that on 1 out of 65536 request
you will receive no response. Simultaneously requests limited to very
small amount (16) which is not suitable for high load production server.
Source address will be lost -  so no source rules can be used inside
real name server.
Also if you have rule based routing (when routing depends for example on
source address) iodine will fail to properly handle it.

Everything else should work fine (at least I haven't noticed any other
problems). I use modified version with fixed rule based forwarding and
request transparency - everything looks fine, but my name server is not
high load.

Regards,
Dmitry Shyshkin