[iodine-users] Iodine set up help | Ubuntu Server - MacBook Pro Client

Chris Parker cockneyparker at btinternet.com
Mon May 16 11:28:50 CEST 2011

As this is my first email, first of all hello everyone, hope you are all
well.

Now to the problem at hand. I am running an Ubuntu Server behind a Netgear
WG384GT router and am currently connecting via a MacBook Pro client. I have
iodine installed and working on both (I think) and have been able to make a
successful connection from client to server.

macbook-pro:bin ecri2$ sudo ./iodine -f -P xxx iodine.dnstunnel.co.cc
Password:
Opened /dev/tun0
Opened UDP socket
Sending DNS queries for iodine.dnstunnel.co.cc to 81.142.204.118
Autodetecting DNS query type (use -T to override).
Using DNS type NULL queries
Version ok, both using protocol v 0x00000502. You are user #0
Setting IP of tun0 to 10.0.0.2
Adding route 10.0.0.2/27 to 10.0.0.2
add net 10.0.0.2: gateway 10.0.0.2
Setting MTU of tun0 to 1130
Server tunnel IP is 10.0.0.1
Testing raw UDP data to the server (skip with -r)
Server is at 192.168.0.101, trying raw login: ....failed
iodine: Got FORMERR as reply: server does not understand our request
DNS relay does not support EDNS0 extension
Switching upstream to codec Base128
Server switched upstream to codec Base128
No alternative downstream codec available, using default (Raw)
Switching to lazy mode for low-latency
Server switched to lazy mode
Autoprobing max downstream fragment size... (skip with -m fragsize)
...768 not ok.. ...384 not ok.. 192 ok.. ...288 not ok.. ...240 not ok.. 216
ok.. 228 ok.. ...234 not ok.. ...231 not ok.. ...230 not ok.. will use
228-2=226
Setting downstream fragment size to max 226...
Connection setup complete, transmitting data

So assuming that that is OK, what I need to know is what I have to do next.
I am guessing that I need to make the client send its data via this tunnel,
but I am confused and despite hunting the web I have been unable to answer
my question thus far.

I am also keen to see whether my domains and DNS settings are correct and
can explain those.
I have a domain set up as follows;

Domain : dnstunnel.Co.CC
Expires on : 2012-05-13
Service Type : Name server (DNS)
Name server : freedns1.registrar-servers.com
freedns2.registrar-servers.com
freedns3.registrar-servers.com

And then at namescheap (provider of the above NS) I have;
Domain: dnstunnel.co.cc
 HOST NAME IP ADDRESS/ URL  RECORD TYPE MX PREF TTL
  @                                    n/a
  www                                    n/a
   SUB-DOMAIN SETTINGS
  tunnel               213..123..69.144         A address   n/a
  iodine               tunnel.dnstunnel.co.cc NS record   n/a

Please help!