[iodine-users] Using iodine without a direct connection to DNS server

Erik Ekman yarrick at kryo.se
Tue Dec 29 09:40:53 CET 2015

On 26 December 2015 at 04:40, Gulshan Singh <gsingh2011 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still very new to iodine, so apologies if this is a dumb question.
>
> I have iodine somewhat working. I've posted another question about it
> disconnecting after a certain amount of time, but I know at least I'm able
> to make a successful connection to it.
>
> However, what if I'm connected to an access point that only allows DNS
> requests, and the DNS requests need to be sent directly to the gateway (not
> to any other DNS servers)? In other words, instead of running, `iodine -fP
> pass mydomain.com iodine.mydomain.com` (assuming iodined is running on
> mydomain.com), I would have to run something like `iodine -fP pass
> <gateway-ip> iodine.mydomain.com`, because I can't send DNS requests to
> my server, however, this doesn't work.

Normally you can leave out the nameserver when running the client, and it
will use the configured system nameserver, usually given via DHCP.

Is there anything I can do here? Should this case actually work? If I run
> `dig iodine.mydomain.com +trace`, I can see that dig does correctly
> figure out that mydomain.com is the nameserver for iodine.mydomain.com,
> so it seems like it technically should be possible to tunnel traffic
> through DNS, I just don't know if it's not working because it's not
> supported or I'm doing something wrong.

Have you tested your setup before without always going directly to your
nameservers? It sounds like there is not too much blocking going on.
What does the client say when it fails to connect?

/Erik