[iodine-users] iodine mangling passthrough DNS queries?

Rick van Rein rick at vanrein.org
Sun Mar 1 22:37:22 CET 2015

Hello Erik,

> Recommended way of running together with a 'real' nameserver is to
> filter based on packet content in the firewall,
> see this tip: http://dev.kryo.se/iodine/wiki/TipsAndTricks#Runningiodineside-by-sidewithanotherDNSserver

Ah, I missed that page, but since general netfilters appear to be possible, it’s a much better way.  Thanks!

>> Am I mistaken, or is my normal DNS traffic incorrectly being mangled here?  Or did I goof up anywhere?
>
> I don't fully remember how the forwarding thing works, but I can take a look.
> Please send me a packet capture of all 4 stages of the request (to
> iodined, to nameserver, from nameserver, from iodined) off-list and I
> will check.

It sounds like you’d do it specifically for my question, which you solved in a better way.  I’m assuming
you don’t need these traces anymore then — otherwise let me know and I’ll try to reconstruct and chase
the traces for you.

Cheers,
 -Rick