[peervpn] using compression?

Tobias Volk mail at tobiasvolk.de
Tue Oct 20 23:46:07 CEST 2015

This is actually a planned feature. These would be the requirements in my point of view:

* Compression should be negotiated per link, and it should be possible to compress one-way. For example, an ADSL-connected node may want to compress its upstream to save bandwidth, but prefer to receive an uncompressed downstream to reduce CPU load on both sides.

* PeerVPN fragments packets internally to avoid MTU issues. Compression should be applied before fragmentation, so it can reduce the amount of packets that need to be fragmented.

Unfortunately, this requires some protocol changes and code restructuring, so I have to postpone this for now. :-)

- Tobias