[sheepdog-users] HW RAID or single disk

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Thu Jul 19 10:34:55 CEST 2012

We normally suggest to use HW RAID for data storage. This has the advantage
that we can replace failed disk without service interruption (node stays online).

When using sheepdog (or ceph), HW RAID additionally increase redundancy,
and avoid recovery actions most times.

Unfortunately, this is quite expensive compared to using a single disk (or 2 single
disks without raid controller).

With such single disk setup, is it possible to replace a damaged disk while the node
keeps running (assuming HW supports hotplug)?

NOTE: If we can't hotplug disks, any disk failure need a poweroff/reboot. That start
auto-recovery and produces massive network traffic.

If I run 2 sheeps on 2 separate disks (on same node), recovery use the second sheep to
copy data (no network traffic involved)?

Any experiences on those topic?

- Dietmar