[sheepdog-users] Two servers over long distances?

Jens WEBER jweber at tek2b.org
Wed Jul 11 17:15:23 CEST 2012

> Dear all,
>
> I am currently using DRBD to provide replication over a 500 MB wireless
> link between two working centers located 3 miles apart. Everything runs
> well but I am interested in sheepdog as a possible future implementation.
> Is it prepared for a two nodes configuration (RAID 1)?. If so, how does its
> performance compare to that from DRBD?. Any advantages/disadv?.
>
> Thanks in advance!.
>
> Jose.
sheedog cluster based on corosync. corosync with 2 nodes is a special setup without quorum and corosync use multicast to communicate. Is there a layer2 link between the two locations? If yes you can use sheepdog.

pro and con, example
sheepdog configuration is much simpler then DRBD
sheepdog works with much nodes, DRBD supports only 2 master-master nodes
sheepdog works well for virtualization qemu/kvm, DRBD is better for gfs or ocfs2 and physical hardware

sheepdog != DRBD, sheepdog more like ceph RBD

Cheers Jens