[sheepdog-users] Stability problems with kvm using a remote sheepdog volume

David Douard david.douard at logilab.fr
Wed Jun 13 19:28:46 CEST 2012

On 13/06/2012 15:37, David Douard wrote:
> On 12/06/2012 07:04, MORITA Kazutaka wrote:
>> At Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:22:44 +0200,
>> David Douard wrote:

>>> Humm, spoke a bit too quick.
>>>
>>> The kvm does not segfault any more, but the sheepdog volume generates
>>> errors (in the guest) when writing. I have many
>>>
>>>   end_request: I/O error, dev vdc, sector 0
>>>
>>> in the syslog of the guest (vdc being the block device served by sheepdog).
>>>
>>> Running "zcav -w",  the guest freezed for a while, and finally produced
>>> the traceback below.
>>
>> I updated the qemu tree, can you try again?  I also recommend to
>> update your sheepdog code to the latest one because a fatal network
>> I/O problem was fixed last week.
>

> My objective is to be able to propose a patch to debian and ubuntu so
> they can fix the qemu-kvm they chip (patched 1.0.1), so it can be
> quickly made available to everyone, so sheepdog can be actually use on
> these platforms (which it cannot for now).
>
> So I'd like to fix this issue in the kvm 1.0.1 tree.
>
> Regarding sheepdog itself, I have a work in progress to make sheepdog
> 0.3.0 (and I expect 0.4.0 soon) available un debian (in backports ASAP).
> If I fond time, I'll try to see if I can backport the network IO fix in
> 0.3.0 to provide more stable debian packages.
>

>>> If I can, I'd like to try to rebuild the kvm binary from the ubuntu
>>> package, just applying the required patches to fix the race condition.
>>> Kazataka, can you please point me the strictly required changesets in
>>> your git repo I must apply as patches?
>
> Sorry for the typo i your name,
>
>> The required patches are:
>>   54de366 sheepdog: avoid sleep while traversing pending_list
>>   3585170 sheepdog: split outstanding list into inflight and pending
>>   b319e0a sheepdog: create all aio_reqs before sending I/Os
>>   fead1e7 sheepdog: restart I/O when socket becomes ready in do_co_req()
>>   72eafcf sheepdog: fix dprintf format strings
>>

> thanks,
>
>> But I'm not sure you can apply them cleanly.  I think it is easier to
>> copy block/sheepdog.c to your source tree.
>
> I can't do that according my objective (a patch for kvm 1.0). As
> expected, they do not apply, and I'm not sure I can find by myself
> (having never digged in kvm/qemu source code) a way to apply this fix in
> the 1.0 tree.
>
> I'll try, however I'll appreciate any help.

Ok I've applied b319e0a, 3585170 and 54de366 on the sources from ubuntu
qemu-kvm package (qemu-kvm-1.0+noroms-0ubuntu13) and rebuilt deb
packages for precise. I have a running kvm that seems stable for now
(dbench test OK, bonnie++ currently in progress) running on my laptop.
I've also launch these tests on my openstack cluster.