[sheepdog-users] Setting an alternate binding address

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 07:04:01 CEST 2013

On 04/02/2013 01:15 AM, Werner van der Walt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After having experimented with sheepdog in a lab environment it has
> become clear to me that it uses whatever IP has been set for the
> corosync communications as its advertised cluster IP address. I had a
> look at the documentation and saw that there were two options that
> looked like they may enable you to set an alternative IP address other
> than the one used by corosync.
> The one option was sheep -i <new ip> and the other option sheep -y <new
> ip>. I tried both of these but when I do a collie cluster info then it
> still shows the original corosync IP and not the new set IP. When
> executing the command it does not return any errors so it looks like it
> runs successfully but you can't see any changes taking place whatsoever.

-b is used to bind the NIC and -y is used to advertise the specified IP
to other sheep.

> The test machine has 4 nics - 1 for corosync comms, 1 for DRBD
> replication comms, 1 x SAN comms and 1 for the management network. I am
> using pacemaker on this same machine to provide a virtual IP which other
> servers use to connect to and I would like to assign this virtual IP as
> the bind address for sheepdog as well. That way if pacemaker and DRBD
> fails over onto the 2nd node then my sheepdog cluster will still be
> available and usable by my KVM hosts.

I don't see the point to use sheepdog with DRBD, sheepdog already
provides high data availability by replication.

Sheepdog has a gateway only-mode, which just route the VM requests as a
gateway. With gateway-only sheep,  you can separate the storage with
computing like SAN.

> Also where would the any sheepdog errors be logged? I checked in
> /var/log/syslog but there is nothing there. I also checked in
> /var/lib/sheepdog/sheep.log but there are no errors in there either.
> Is there a way to enable debug logging so I can check exactly what
> sheepdog is busy doing?

sheep -h for more information. '-d' to enable debug output and you can
see logs from sheep.log.