[sheepdog-users] Suggestion on how to expand the cluster

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 12:51:35 CEST 2013

On 04/15/2013 06:43 PM, Valerio Pachera wrote:
> Hi all, I have a 3 nodes cluster in production.
> It's storing backup data, so nothing vital but still important.
>
> All 3 nodes are using a dedicated data disk of 500G.
> I would like to add a disk of 2T for each node.
>
> How to expand the cluster size?

This depends on the version of SD. I have added multi-disk
support(merged two weeks ago), with which you can simply hot-plug more
disks into the running sheep without stopping the cluster. See
https://github.com/collie/sheepdog/wiki/Multi-disk-on-Single-Node-Support for
more info.

Without MD support, you have 2 means
1) just start a new sheep on the new disk (hot expand)
2) stop the cluster and use tools like LVM to aggregate the new disk
into the existing volume. Then start the cluster as before.