[sheepdog-users] [libvirt] A question about booting from the snapshot image by specifying snapshot id in Libvirt

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 21:31:33 CET 2013

On 02/03/2013 10:42 PM, harryxiyou wrote:

> My question is before i boot VM from sheepdog:testvdi:1, my vdi list like
> However, after VM is destroied, my vdi list like
>   testvdi      4   20 MB   12 MB  8.0 MB 2013-02-04 13:15   f348bd     2
>
> There is another snapshot of testvdi created. I am not clear about why another
> one is created? I just boot a VM from snapshot testvdi, which id is 1.

I'm not that familiar with sheepdog, but I'll give it a shot:
id 1 is a static point in time.  But you booted your guest, which means
you have made modifications since that point in time.  Those
modifications have to be stored somewhere.  You can't rewrite id 1, so
sheepdog auto-created id 4 as the storage for all changes since you
booted from the point in time that id 1 was recording.