[sheepdog-users] cluster data distribution

Valerio Pachera sirio81 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 13:55:00 CEST 2013

2013/5/9 Liu Yuan <namei.unix at gmail.com>:
>> root at sheepdog004:~# collie node info
>> Id      Size    Used    Use%
>>  0      1.6 TB  778 GB   47%
>>  1      1.6 TB  723 GB   42%
>>  2      2.1 TB  175 GB    8%
>> Total   5.4 TB  1.6 TB   30%
>> Total virtual image size        1.2 TB

> Yes, plugging the new disk doesn't trigger a data re-balance across the
> nodes but re-balance data between the disks in this node, which is not
> the same as adding a new node that trigger a data re-balance across the
> nodes.

I've been writing more data on the cluster.
Now it looks like this:

root at sheepdog004:~# collie node info
Id      Size    Used    Use%
 0      1.6 TB  846 GB   51%
 1      1.6 TB  787 GB   46%
 2      2.1 TB  191 GB    8%
Total   5.4 TB  1.8 TB   33%
Total virtual image size        1.2 TB

Calculating the difference of used space I get
86G written on id 0
64G written on id 1
16G written on id 2

Sheepdog doesn't seem to balance when writing.
I mean, I thought that when it finds a situation like that, while
writing new data was going to move more data on node 2.
Is there a way to force balancing without adding a node?

>> root at sheepdog004:~# collie node md info --all
>> Id      Size    Use     Path
>> Node 0:
>>  0      1.3 TB  544 GB  /mnt/ST2000DM001-1CH164_W1E2N5G6/obj
>>  1      232 GB  233 GB  /mnt/wd_WMAYP0904279
>
> Looks like this node is full of space because disk 1 doesn't have enough
> space to hold more objects.

I don't get this. "Node0 id1" is a 500G disk. 232 used and 233 free. Right?

Is it possible to change the label "Size" into "Free".