[sheepdog-users] cluster data distribution

Valerio Pachera sirio81 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 07:48:48 CEST 2013

2013/5/10 Liu Yuan <namei.unix at gmail.com>:
>This problem can be solved by giving the sheeps same zone ID (with -z
>option). sheeps which share same zone ID are not used for storing
>dentical objects for redundancy.

Now I understand better what zones are.
I didn't dig into it yet :-)
Anyway, better go for md use.

> Valerio's suggestions looks good to me that we only offer an option to
> force a cluster recovery (re-weighting all the nodes based on the space)
> and plug/unplug just does a local re-balance as default. Is your new
> design considering this?

Yes.
For me it's ok like that:
plug/unplug of a device, no triggering of the whole cluster.
cluster recovery done "manual".

I.e. The day I expanded the cluster adding disks, my backups were
going to start after 1h.
Backups write on a guest running on the cluster.
If cluster recover was triggered, I don't know if backup were able to
write while cluster recovering. Sure slower.

Just to avoid confusion: what is 'collie cluster recover' doing?
I used it only to start the cluster with a missing node.
Does it have other scope of use?
May it be while cluster is running?