[sheepdog-users] node recovery performance

Gerald Richter - ECOS richter at ecos.de
Mon Nov 25 20:00:04 CET 2013

Hi,

I have a simple test cluster with two nodes and one vdi with 26GB. If I restart one node recovery takes 7,5 minutes. Even there were no vm running in this time, so nothing is change inside the cluster, but the recovery node seem to pull all the data of the vid from the other node, even it has all the data already on the local disk.

So I expect a cluster of 2,6GB will take 750 minutes, which is half a day.  If the second server fails in this time, data might be lost. So doing a reboot of two servers within half a day might cause data loss... (it's same for three or more nodes, only the timeframe changes a little bit).

Can this recovery time improved in any way, so that unmodified data is _not_ copied over the network?

Or do I understand the recovery process wrong?

Regards

Gerald