[sheepdog-users] cluster snapshot test

Valerio Pachera sirio81 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 11:29:56 CET 2013

Hi, I wish to share the successful test I made this morning.
I created a snaphsot for all my vdi(s), then saved the cluster snapshot.
I removed all vdi snapshots and re-created them.
Only ha guest had little changes in its vdi.
As you can see, saving the second snapshot didn't double the amount of
backup space, but it only stored the "new" objects.

Sheepdog daemon version 0.7.0_197_g9f718d2

dog node info
Id      Size    Used    Avail   Use%
 0      233 GB  56 GB   177 GB   24%
 1      452 GB  56 GB   397 GB   12%
 2      212 GB  61 GB   151 GB   28%
 3      518 GB  67 GB   451 GB   12%
Total   1.4 TB  239 GB  1.1 TB   16%
Total virtual image size        177 GB
(Note: cluster is formatted with --copies 2)

dog cluster snapshot save nov27 cluster_snapshots

real    55m38.116s
user    7m26.036s
sys     4m14.312s

du -sh cluster_snapshots/
59G     cluster_snapshots/

--- remove and re-create snapshots ---

dog cluster snapshot save nov27bis cluster_snapshots

real    49m40.422s
user    7m27.720s
sys     5m10.619s

du -sh cluster_snapshots/