[sheepdog-users] vmcli announcement

Valerio Pachera sirio81 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 16:27:12 CET 2013

Hi all,

I created a python script, with similar 'dog' syntax with the scope of
simplifying cluster management.

  https://github.com/sirio81/vmcli

With a simple command like
  alias vmcli='/path/to/vmcli.py --cluster=test --config=/path/config/dir'
  vmcli cluster show
I get quick overview of the guests and servers.

I have been often searching for the vnc diplay of a qemu process before
running a vnc client. And when you manage a cluster may also be difficult
to remember which is the right host.
This is made easier by

  vmcli guest show guestName

To migrate a guest is way more easy then running several command on servers
and qemu monitor:

  vmcli guest migrate guesName serverName

It also

   - check if the host has enough resources (ram and cpu) to start the
   guest;
   - check if the guest is already running on another host, to avoid
   virtual disk corruption;
   - check if a mac address or a virtual disk is already used by another
   running guest (due to user configuration error).

There are some known bugs that I have to fix:

if  you run
  vmcli guest kill windows
and there's another guest named 'windows1', it will be killed as well.

'guest show' works also creating ssh tunnel.
Once the vnc client is closed there's nothing that close the ssh tunnel.
I have to think a way to manage that.

The most important thing for this to work is ssh configured on each server
with a rsa key.
Then the proper cluster and guest configuration.

You may find this too useful.

Notice that the libs may be re-used in other project.

Suggestions for a better coding and/or project structure are very welcome
since I'm not a experienced programmer (and with very little time to spend
on it).

Thank you.