[sheepdog-users] Understanding number of copies and offline node behaviour

Gerald Richter - ECOS richter at ecos.de
Fri Sep 6 16:08:26 CEST 2013

Hi Valerio,

thanks very much for your explanation. This help very much. I have read about this modes in the man page, but unfortunately there is no description what these modes mean (at least in the 0.6 man page).

I have two questions left:

Can I change this mode later on without the need to reformat the cluster when I have more nodes in the cluster (so I save have to export/import several TByte)?

What happens if I use "collie cluster format --unsafe" or " collie cluster format --quorum" and there more nodes down so some data is missing. Does my VM just gets an I/O error on the missing data and will work again if enough nodes are up again or do I risk to loose data in such a situation because the cluster might not recover? (e.g. if I upgrade to 6 nodes and have copies = 3, then sheepdog still works with two nodes, but some data is missing because 4 nodes are down. I don't care that VM are not working in this situation. I just care that I loose no data when the nodes are up and running again)

Thanks & Regards

Gerald