[sheepdog-users] Formatting an ext4 filesystem quickly

Scott Devoid devoid at anl.gov
Thu Apr 24 18:26:27 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I'm building out the sheepdog drivers for OpenStack Nova. In order to build
ephemeral volumes for VMs we need to provision a vdi and format it with a
labeled filesystem. I've gotten this to work with the sheepfs client on a
reasonably sized cluster (20 nodes) and for a 10G volume, the format
happens <1s. But the development cluster I have in Devstack is 3 nodes with
-c local. In this scenario, sheepfs takes >5 min  to format the filesystem.

So I am wondering, is there a better way to format a vdi? OpenStack
currently makes use of standard tools or libguestfs. Does sheepdog support
either of these?

Thanks,

~ Scott

P.S. I need to sit down and write out what I'm doing for OpenStack &
Sheepdog. You can look at a few of the review documents if you are
interested:
- https://review.openstack.org/#/c/82584/
- https://review.openstack.org/#/c/74148/
- https://review.openstack.org/#/c/89434/