[sheepdog-users] backup images

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:26:39 CEST 2014

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 12:15:31PM +0400, Maxim Terletskiy wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need to backup whole cluster with possibility to restore some of
> images later. Tried "dog cluster snapshot/load", correct me if I'm
> wrong, but looks like it restores only whole cluster not separate
> images.

Yes. Partial restore looks a reasonable feature, but currently no one has
time for it. You can add a bug for this feature.

> I thought about snapshoting all images and do "qemu-img convert",
> but it is not the best way. Without deduplication and compression
> we'll need too much space to store backups.

I guess for now this is the only solution if you don't utilize cluster
snapshot.

> Second way I see is "dog cluster snapshot" and "load" it to another
> place(single sheep on backup server?). Not the best solution too,
> we'll need to do twice "qemu-img convert" for every backup we'll
> need to restore. And there are still question how to store multiple
> copies of the same images in case if we need backups from last
> couple of weeks.
>

> Is there any solutions?

We support incremental snapshot backup see

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.sheepdog/6749

Thanks