[sheepdog-users] Single-node sheepdog for testing

Hitoshi Mitake mitake.hitoshi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 03:44:39 CEST 2014

Hi Scott,

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 7:45 AM, Scott Devoid <devoid at anl.gov> wrote:
> At some point I saw instructions on setting up a single-node sheepdog system
> for testing, but I cannot find that now. Can someone point me in the right
> direction or tell me I was dreaming? :-)

I think you are talking about the local cluster driver. The
information can be found in our README.md file:

* Local Driver

   This driver just makes use of UNIX IPC mechanism to manage the membership
   on a single box, where we start multiple 'sheep' processes to simulate the
   cluster. It is very easy and fast setup and especially useful to test
   functionality without involving any other software.

   To set up a 3 node cluster using local driver in one liner bash
with debug mode:

      $ mkdir /path/to/store
      $ for i in 0 1 2; do sheep -c local -d /path/to/store/$i -z $i
-p 700$i;sleep 1;done

As the description says, you can launch multiple sheep daemon with "-c
local" option on a single box for testing purpose. It would be
convenient for testing e.g. when you want to try the combination of
OpenStack components + sheepdog.

Thanks,
Hitoshi