[sheepdog-users] Live migration of VM disk from one sheepdog node to another

Struan Bartlett struan.bartlett at NewsNow.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 20:05:07 CET 2014

Hi

I am experimenting with different options for distributed storage of
KVM/QEMU virtual machine disk images. I like the simplicity of setup of
sheepdog+corosync, and the homogeneous nature of this installation (each
server is the same). However, given our current distribution of raw
metal servers, I'm not sure it makes sense to us that every VM host
should be running sheepdog. This is because the raw metal servers we
have with the greatest RAM and spare processing capacity, also have the
strongest disk storage which is heavily utilised. Conversely, we have
other raw metal servers that are shorter on RAM and spare CPU capacity,
but have plenty of free disk space. Our VMs are used for development and
testing purposes, and don't need to be high powered. It therefore seems
to make sense to run sheepdog on the machines with plenty of free disk
space, and the VMs on the machines with plenty of CPU and RAM.

I know this is possible with sheepdog, since the qemu driver supports
talking to sheepdog on a remote host, and I've managed to get that
working. What I don't know is, whether there are any plans to make it
possible to migrate VMs backed by such storage from one sheepdog node to
another. This is important for when a sheepdog server needs to be taken
down for maintenance. For example, is it planned to either (a) allow the
choice of remote sheepdog server backing the guest disk to be changed
on-the-fly? (b) Allow a set of remote sheepdog servers to be specified
for the guest disk, allowing the qemu driver to automatically failover
from one to another in the event the sheepdog node becomes inaccessible?
or (c) use a protocol such as rbd (like Ceph) that supports talking to
multiple storage servers natively?

Kind regards

Struan

--

Struan Bartlett
NewsNow Publishing Limited

Tel: 	+44 (0)845 838 8890
Fax: 	+44 (0)845 838 8898

The UK's #1 News Portal:
 > www.NewsNow.co.uk <http://www.NewsNow.co.uk> (est. 1998)

Also tailored for Mobile:
 > mobile.NewsNow.co.uk <http://mobile.NewsNow.co.uk/>

Now with FREE Personalisation:
 > Register <http://www.NewsNow.co.uk/register/>

Bespoke B2B Internet News Monitoring:
 > Internet News Monitoring
<http://www.newsnow.co.uk/services/newsmonitoring/>

Bespoke B2B Headlines for Websites:
 > Editorial-In-A-Box <http://www.newsnow.co.uk/services/websites/>

NewsNow Publishing Limited, trading also as NewsNow.co.uk, is a company
registered in England and Wales under company no. 3435857 with
registered office The Euston Office, 1 Euston Square, 40 Melton Street,
London NW1 2FD