[sheepdog-users] Anyone have any experience with sheepdog as an upstart service?

Andrew J. Hobbs ajhobbs at desu.edu
Thu Mar 20 23:33:48 CET 2014

The dual machines I've been working with are running Ubuntu 12.04LTS,
and are not honoring the /etc/security/limits.conf file. No matter how I
set it, sheepdog complains about only 1024 open files max.  My
production cluster is running 13.10 and honors the changes fine.  I've
tried writing an upstart script for sheepdog, however sheep evidently
forks 14 times during launch, and upstart simply chokes.  According to
online docs for 12.04, correct way to set open file limits for a daemon
is only through upstart and the limits stanza.  Unfortunately it looks
like the -f option has been removed from sheep, which would have allowed
the daemon to run in foreground (something upstart can handle).

Any ideas?  About to blow away the installation and bump them to 13.10
where I know at least I can run the existing init.d scripts and have
them honor the nofiles limits.

Cannot wait for upstart to die a painful death here.  Not sure I want
the bloat of systemd...