[sheepdog-users] Lock TTL/Timeout

Hitoshi Mitake mitake.hitoshi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 14:46:41 CEST 2015

At Thu, 02 Jul 2015 18:06:24 +0200,
Fabian Zimmermann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there some kind of ttl/timeout which would release a lock if qemu dies?
>
> I did some tests and it looks like the lock is not removed automatically.
>
> Would it be possible to
>
> * add such a timeout
> * tell qemu to die if it is no longer the lock-owner?

It is possible to implement the above features. But it require amount
of changes of sheepdog protocol. I cannot promise these features will
be implemented in the near future :(

> * block access if process doesn't own the lock?

Isn't it implemented already? You can enable locking with "dog cluster format -l".

> I'm currently thinking about how I may add locking support to my
> opennebula-sheepdog-addon.

Thanks a lot!
BTW, how do you think about the idea: when a sheep process dies,
releasing all VDI locks acquired by qemu processes running on a same
host with the sheep process. It can be implemented easily.

Thanks,
Hitoshi