[sheepdog-users] Sheepdog 0.9 missing live migration feature

Walid Moghrabi walid.moghrabi at lezard-visuel.com
Mon Mar 2 21:34:25 CET 2015

Hi,

I just updated to 0.9.1 which apparently fixes many snapshot related issues I got but now, it is impossible to live migrate virtual machines anymore.
I know this feature is not supported by 0.9, this has been announced and discussed many times but this is very frustrating because this is a must feature especially when used in virtualization clustered stack such as ProxMox or OpenStack.
This is even more frustrating that before 0.9, this was working and pretty well I must say so I don't know why this feature has been removed.

Are there any plan in a near future to support live migration again ?

I'm in a process of building a whole new cluster for our company based on ProxMox and I must admit that I'm in doubts because I'd prefer to use Sheepdog since I find it much more comfortable (and even a better performer) than Ceph but lack of live migration is a no go to me while Ceph is a robust alternative which is very well integrated in ProxMox UI (but it is more complicated and all the way round, I still prefer Sheepdog).

Regards