[sheepdog-users] 2 node set-up and multiple disks

bolle at geodb.org bolle at geodb.org
Fri Oct 7 11:16:07 CEST 2016

Hello all

I'm testing a 2 node Sheepdog cluster (v0.8.3) with KVM (Ubuntu 16.04)
using Corosync. Each Sheepdog node has 2 disks (multiple disk) and will
host some VMs. For each VDI of the VMs, there should be 3 copies using
erasure coding. I don't need high availability.

My plan is to get the following:

  - Each KVM / Sheepdog node hosts their own VMs, the VDI should be
stored with 2 copies on each local disks and on 1 remote disk if
possible

  - If the network gets interrupted, each node should stay running by
their own

  - If a disk dies, the cluster should continue running and redistribute
the objects

  - If a node dies, I should be able to manually start the VMs on the
other node after the VDIs have 2 copies on it

I will make sure, that there is enough disk space to host 2 copies of
all VDIs on each node. My goal is not to save disk space. I want a
reliable storage for the VDI which would survive a hardware failure of
one node.

Is this set-up possible ? Are there any advices / hints ?

Thanks in advance
Andreas