[sheepdog-users] Some question from new user

furkan at theshell.co.jp furkan at theshell.co.jp
Fri Nov 17 19:01:10 CET 2017

On 2017-11-18 01:45, Raymond Burkholder wrote:
>> > 5) is possible to expose a POSIX filesystem stored on sheepdog?
>>
>> you can't expose filesystem from vdi, because vdi is block device.
>>

> I suppose the closest thing is sheepfs?
>
> https://github.com/sheepdog/sheepdog/wiki/Sheepfs

You can do, through qemu-nbd, formatting it and mounting it.

sheepdog -> qemu-nbd -> /dev/nbd{x} -> xfs/ext3/ext4/.. -> mount

modprobe nbd
qemu-nbd sheepdog://localhost:7000/my_volume -c /dev/nbd1
# Optionally you can do the rest on a different machine using nbd-client
on this step
mkfs.xfs /dev/nbd1
mount /dev/nbd1 /path/to/mount

I am not aware of any additional overheads caused by this. It works.

Furkan Mustafa