[Sheepdog] How to look up objects in any case

Chris Webb chris at arachsys.com
Wed Dec 16 17:08:03 CET 2009

MORITA Kazutaka <morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:

> I think of using simpler approach; clients use current node membership
> in any case for calculating the target node, and if objects are not
> found there, sheepdog daemon forwards the request to other nodes.
> This removes epoch info from vdi objects, and this is key-value store
> manner more than current one.

Hi. I think this makes a great deal of sense, and gets a piece of 'policy'
out of the client code.

Are you planning on the sheepdog daemon proxying the request to another
node, or returning a 'please ask the following node' response? The former
gives maximum simplicity in the client; the latter might improve network
bandwidth consumption at the expensive of an extra piece of client
complexity.

Best wishes,

Chris.