[Sheepdog] refinement of shepherd commands

Chris Webb chris at arachsys.com
Thu May 6 16:50:55 CEST 2010

MORITA Kazutaka <morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:

> shepherd command [command options]
>
> Command list:
>   vdi-info              show virtual disk image information
>   vdi-delete            delete a vdi
>   vdi-list              list vdis
>   vdi-lock              lock a vdi (for debug)
>   vdi-release           release a vdi (for debug)
>   vdi-object            show object infomation in the vdi
>   node-info             show sheepdog node information
>   node-list             list nodes
>   node-start            start collie daemon on the node
>   node-stop             stop collie daemon on the node
>   vm-info               show virtual machines information
>   vm-list               list virtual machines
>   cluster-info          show sheepdog cluster information
>   cluster-format        format sheepdog
>   cluster-shutdown      shutdown sheepdog
>   help                  print help
> ==
>
> Any comments and suggestions are appriciated.

Hi. I think this looks much more regular. It could even be (git-style)

  shepherd vdi info
  [etc]

which would allow shepherd vdi [--]help to give more detailed help for vdi
operations.

Something else I think would be very desirable is regular, easy-to-parse
output. It's very likely that shepherd and other scripts will be called from
management scripts/daemons which will need to parse its output, so it'd be
nice to have either a simple default output format (which might be less
pretty than the current tabular output), or a 'plain' output mode specially
designed to be easily parsed from scripts with a

  while read A B ...; do ...; done

idiom in shell, or strtok/strsep in C.

Best wishes,

Chris.