[Sheepdog] Sheepdog performance

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Apr 7 03:04:51 CEST 2011

At Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:02:25 +0100,
Chris Webb wrote:

> MORITA Kazutaka <morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:
>
> > I'm not familiar with btrfs mount options, but if a raw image show a
> > good performance on the same file system, I think this is a problem of
> > Sheepdog.  To be honest, I don't have the slightest idea why Sheepdog
> > shows such a bad results in your environment.
> [...]
> > I think a barrier option makes a huge difference.
>
> Hi Kazutaka. I've just reformatted with ext4 and performed an initial two
> tests: with and without barrier=0, using the existing triple-replicated
> configuration and using the default ext4 data=ordered mode.
>
> With barriers on (default ext4), I still see 5-6MB/s write performance on
> unallocated blocks, and around 10MB/s write performance rewriting those
> blocks once they've been allocated.
>
> Turning barriers off, this becomes more like 53MB/s (on unallocated blocks)
> and 60MB/s rewriting already allocated blocks. This is a very dramatic
> difference, as you predicted!

I've seen similar discussions:
  http://www.serverphorums.com/read.php?12,169620
  http://marc.info/?t=128024999500005

> The btrfs results are presumably 5-6MB/s because barriers are enabled by
> default there too. (There was no different between allocated and unallocated
> blocks in btrfs, presumably because CoW behaviour means blocks always have
> to be allocated afresh when writing to btrfs files, with the exception of
> O_DIRECT access that sheepdog doesn't use.)
>
> Turning off barriers essentially means that write-ordering to disk is no
> longer guaranteed in a power-failure situation. Isn't this likely to cause
> corruption on a sheepdog cluster in the same way as a traditional
> filesystem, or are there mechanisms in place to avoid this effect at a
> higher level? What is it that sheepdog does that makes barriers so
> prohibitively expensive (factor of 10+) on sheep file stores? Very heavy
> filesystem metadata update?

If you use a cache=writethrough option (default), I think you can see
that a raw image also shows poor performance (though I don't know the
reason well).  In my environment:

==
ext3 (barrier=1)

cache=writethrough (non-allocated)
 raw                11.4 MB/s
 qcow2              11.4 MB/s
 sheepdog (1 node)  10.5 MB/s

cache=none (non-allocated)
 raw                77.0 MB/s
 qcow2              65.9 MB/s
 sheepdog (1 node)  10.5 MB/s
==

The sheepdog driver doesn't support a cache flag, so its performance
is still bad even when we use cache=none (O_DIRECT).  I added partial
support for O_DIRECT in patches I just sent.

After patching them:

==
ext3 (barrier=1)
add "-D" to sheep command line arguments

cache=none (non-allocated)
 sheepdog (1 node)  38.8 MB/s

cache=none (allocated)
 sheepdog (1 node)  62.7 MB/s
==

The patches are also in
  git://sheepdog.git.sf.net/gitroot/sheepdog/sheepdog next

In the patches, Sheepdog uses O_DIRECT only for data objects, so the
performance of metadata operations is still bad.

In future, we need to define what the cache flags means for Sheepdog
and implement it.