[Sheepdog] Dividing objects across disks

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Aug 8 17:52:10 CEST 2011

I'm thinking of using Mac Mini servers as KVM/Sheepdog nodes.

The Mac Mini server has two hard drives in it, and I'd like the Sheepdog
objects to be distributed between these to benefit from the extra read/write
performance.  However I don't want them to be considered as two separate
Sheepdog nodes - data needs to be replicated to separate physical nodes.

I also don't want to use RAID0 because it would be hard to arrange that the
Sheepdog 4MB data chunks are aligned to the RAID0 stripes.  If this isn't
done, then performance would be worse than with a single disk.

Ideally, I think I'd like to mount /store_device/0 and store_device/1 as two
separate filesystems, and have Sheepdog distribute objects between them.  Is
there a simple way to do this?

Thanks,

Brian.