[Sheepdog] Doubt from sheepdog documentation !

Vivek Chaurasiya vivekchaurasiya at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 01:13:41 CEST 2011

Hi all,

While reading the documentation of SD at
https://github.com/collie/sheepdog/wiki/Sheepdog-Design

>>retrying I/O requests

>>Sheepdog stores all node membership histories. We call the version number
of the histories ''epoch'' (See also the 'Object Recovery' section). When
the gateway forwards I/O >>requests to the target node and the latest epoch
number doesn't match between the gateway and the target node, the I/O
requests fail and *the gateway retries the requests until >>the epoch
numbers match.* This is necessary to keep a strong consistency of replicated
objects.

1. Does this algorithm is on the lines of 'Paxos consensus protocol' ?

2. When gateway retries, do we make sure that is doesn't contact the same
target node it did before ?

--
Best Regards,

Vivek Kumar Chaurasiya