[Sheepdog] sheepdog and RAID

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Mar 17 05:56:16 CET 2011

At Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:42:46 -0700 (PDT),
Ski Mountain wrote:
> Sorry about prematurely sending the previous message by mistake.
> I have a question about setting up sheep dog.  Since sheepdog takes care of data
> replication and node addition and subtraction.  What do you do when you have
> multiple disks in a machine in the cluster.  I assume you want to raid one the
> OS, but what is best practices for the directory that stores the objects.  Is is
> best to start the sheep deamon on each mount point, or do you need to RAID the
> multiple disks.  I figured that RAIDing the sheepdog disks would waste space
> making multiple copies would be a waste since sheepdog is RAIDing the data.  So
> would be best for sheepdog to take care of the data distribution and replication
> or what is the best method.
>
> $ collie cluster format --copies=3
>
> Method stated in documentation
> $ sheep /store_dir
>
> Or on each disk
> $ sheep /store_disk0
> $ sheep /store_disk1
> $ sheep /store_disk2
> $ sheep /store_disk3
> $ sheep /store_disk4
> $ sheep /store_disk5
> $ sheep /store_disk6

I think using RAID 0 (no redundancy) is the easiest way.

Of course you can start a sheep daemon for each disk.  In that case,
please specify the different port number.  For example:

  $ sheep /store_disk0 -p 7000
  $ sheep /store_disk1 -p 7001
  $ sheep /store_disk2 -p 7002
  $ sheep /store_disk3 -p 7003