[Sheepdog] sheepdog and RAID

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 05:45:52 CET 2011

At Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:49:34 -0700 (PDT),
Ski Mountain wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> While setting up RAID 0 would be a option, there must be more elegant solutions
> out there.  Just because one disk out of the whole array dies breaking the whole
> array and drastically changing the size of the sheepdog cluster.

Agreed.

> One problem I do see with starting many sheep daemons on the same server that
> has many disks is that (especially on small clusters) it is possible for all
> data for one or many Virtual Machine to be stored on one physical server.

Could you explain more details about this?  Fixing this looks the
right way to go to me.

> Would it be possible to do say
> sheep /store_disk0  /store_disk1  /store_disk2  /store_disk3  /store_disk4
> /store_disk5 /store_disk6
> So all mount points on a server would be handled by the same sheep using
> multiple threads
>
> Add a mount point
> sheep -a /store_disk7
>
> Remove a mount point
> sheep -r /store_disk7

It is possible to support multiple disks.  But if running multiple
daemons solves the problem, I'd like to keep the current simple design
(one daemon for one disk).