[Sheepdog] Next version and user documentation

Matthew Law matt at webcontracts.co.uk
Thu May 10 12:04:12 CEST 2012

I had been putting together a small list of items I think would be nice to
have in user documentation (a wishlist, if you like):

1) Installing Sheepdog and it's dependencies:

* Choosing the appropriate cluster manager (discuss corosync, zookeeper
and accord and the pros and cons of each)
* Packages or source code? (Install from .debs, Install from .rpm,
Compiling from source)

2) Modes of operation

* Different ways of running sheepdog ('conventional' cluster, storage-only
cluster, qemu-host-only cluster, etc)
* Single node cluster (developer/testing mode)
* A cluster with one sheep per physical host
* A cluster with several sheep per node (physical disk dedicated to each,
using zone IDs to preserve redundancy)

3) Running your cluster

* Starting and stopping your cluster safely
* Running, testing and monitoring your cluster
* Common issues and how to deal with them
* Sheep command line options explained (performance, safety, etc)

4) Examples and advanced stuff

* Sheepdog with OpenStack
* Sheepdog with CloudStack
* Sheepdog with Ganeti
* Building a large cluster - cluster network considerations, configuration
management, running diskless nodes with all storage dedicated to sheep.

Some of this is wishful thinking but how does it sound? - put yourself in
a newbie's shoes :-)  I can start this off and welcome input from others
(please let us know what you are doing so we don't duplicate work).

Kazutaka, can we have a sheepdog-users list please? -either at
lists.wpkg.org, or somewhere else suitable.

Thanks,

Matt.