[sheepdog] Release schedule for 0.8.0

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 07:03:25 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 01:06:21PM +0900, tuji wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am planning use sheepdog for our new service.
> And I am considering sheepdog version for it.
>
> I want to know function of 0.8.0 and release schedule.

new main functionality for v0.8.0
- erasure code support
- new snapshot delete algorithm which will reclaim objects more effeciently
- MD support unlimited local disks instead of 32 local disks
- hardware assisted sha1 hash to speed up recovery and 'cluster snapshot'
- basic http restful object store (experimental and in heavy development cycle)

Besides this, new QEMU support auto-reconnect.

I'll write a introduction before v0.8.0 release, which is might be release
in Dec.

I'd suggest you choose v0.8 series since we have changed the basic hash function
for membership and this is imcompatible to v0.7 series and would be hard if not
impossible to upgrade from v0.7 to v0.8.

Thanks
Yuan