[sheepdog] [IRC meeting summary] June 7 2013

Wenhao Xu wenhao at zelin.io
Sat Jun 8 09:14:18 CEST 2013

Hi Folks,

We had a successful IRC meeting yesterday. Thanks to everyone who made it.
For those who didn't have time to join, here is a brief summary:

1. everyone's work sync and tech discussion:
* QEMU auto-reconnection: If sheep daemon exits unexpectedly or need
upgraded, all vms need to be closed because QEMU sheepdog driver doesn't
support reconnecting to sheep daemon. If we have this feature in the QEMU
driver, the upgrade process can be more smooth. No one is working on this
currently. If you can help, it is more than welcome.

* zookeeper driver improvement: handle session timeout correctly and make
the driver more robust. Kai is working on this.

* libsheepdog: Create a library for accessing sheep objects. It will also
be a foundation for different language bindings, e.g. python, ruby, golang,
etc. Kai will work on this. Joseph also expressed the interests on the
maillist.

* S3-like Service: It is already on the roadmap. Both Yuan and Kai, and
probably lots of others, expressed interests on this.

* sheepdog profiling: sheepdog profiling will help us understand the
internal execution of sheepdog for performance/feature
improvement/debugging. This may be relied on current trace framework. This
is also put on Kai's working list.

* benchamark for performance test: Kazutatka is working on it.

* recovery I/O control and different I/O channel priority: This is try to
reduce the impact recovery I/O made to the VM I/O traffice. Kazutaka will
work on this after Kai finishes sheepdog profiling.

2. Sheepdog Manual:
Valerio is working on the sheepdog manual. It should be soon available for
public review.

3. sheepdog-project website:
We will have a new sheepdog website www.sheepdog-project.org. Alessandro is
working on it. There are several logo design available on
www.sheepdog-project.org. If you like one of them, please vote one you
like. If you are a designer and have better idea, please send your design
to us as well. ;) We need designers!

4. Regular IRC meeting
Every two weeks on Friday UTC 8:00am.
You can also subscribe this calender for future sheepdog events:
https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=02fvs8fd3h4nbnld060o3g1ruk@group.calendar.google.com

Or if there are a strong need for a IRC meeting in other time, we can also
schedule an IRC meeting on demand.

Hope this will help you catch up. Please reply this email if I forgot to
mention anything. Thanks.

Have a nice weekend!

Regards,
Wenhao