[sheepdog] Jenkins for sheepdog project

Joseph Glanville joseph at cloudscaling.com
Mon Jun 17 13:26:37 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Wenhao Xu <wenhao at zelin.io> wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> Thanks for the proposal. Integrating Gerrit (and other ticket systems) into
> the review process has been discussed several times. However, the mail list
> has been working well for sheepdog for a long time. And we don't see
> sticking to maillist for bug reporting and code review is a bad idea at the
> current stage.
>
> But I think the community is still open to Gerrit if it could improve the
> review process a lot more in the future, e.g. when we have more developers.
>

> FYI, Paste some old arguments from our awesome developers on the maillist
> about Gerrit:

I don't want to start and argument but I think it's worth debunking
some of these.

> "
> I have some awful experience of Gerrit system, it just looks to me
> lifting higher barrier and throwing more problems than it solves:
>
>  1 the review process in hidden in the Gerrit and not as open as current
> plain patch in the mailing list

You can have gerrit post the patchsets to the mailing list. You can
also then discuss them and emails will appear as comments in the
gerrit system. This can be annoying to setup but it definitely works.

>  2 need more steps of submitting the patch set than current only 'git
> send-email' one liner.

When you have your changeset simply type git review, this will
automatically create a review and trigger any hooks on the gerrit side
like triggering a jenkins build and emailing the patchset to the
mailing list.

>  3 the patch set and its history isn't indexable or logged by other
> system like marc.info

As already noted you can do some of this by mailing patchsets to the
list, that aside gerrit is very indexable as can be seen if you try
search for openstack or android changes.

>  4 It is very cumbersome than plain mail text.

I disagree because now that patchsets are stored as git refs in the
remote repository which is very easy to work with.
But this is a matter of opinion. :)

> "
> "
> IMHO, Gerrit is too complex to review patches.
> When I contributed a patch to OpenStack, I thought that Gerrit was a
> barrier for new developers to join community.  However, if I'm in a
> minority group, I'm not against introducing it.
> "
>

> Sheepdog is compatible with openstack anyway, even when we have two
> different review systems, don't we? ;)

Hehe there is more to compatibility than the code working together. :P

As the test suite becomes more fully fledged the importance of making
use of it increases. Having a proper CI system like this will ensure
tests are run against every patchset.