[sheepdog] effective storing backups and deduplication

Vasiliy Tolstov v.tolstov at selfip.ru
Wed Feb 11 13:14:35 CET 2015

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 03:57:32PM +0400, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
>> Hi! I need to store user backups and allows to download it. I see in
>> google that sheepdog supports deduplication, but can't find info in
>> sheepdog docs about it. Does sheepdog support deduplication?
>
> This deduplication is for SD's internal use, to store its own cluster snapshot.

So, if i have nearly identicl backups (for example 5Gb of data each
and only 1Gb is different) space needed for two backups equal 10Gb?
How much work needed for vdi deduplication?

>> Also i think not use cluster wide snapshots because i want to dedicate
>> backup server from other sheepdog nodes, so i need to copy user vdi
>> from compute node to backup node. Does somebody can say how can i do
>> that in optimal way?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> How about sheepdog's RESTful storage to store user's backup and downloading?
>
> More detail see
>
> https://github.com/sheepdog/sheepdog/wiki/HTTP-Simple-Storage
>
> Thanks

Yes i think about it and now i'm try to understand how to add
authentication and other needed stuff.

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.tolstov at selfip.ru