[sheepdog] Is sheepdog still actively maintained?

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 07:13:12 CET 2019

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 10:31:20 +0900,
Miles Fidelman wrote:

> On 3/16/19 8:01 PM, MORITA Kazutaka wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 08:20:25 +0900,
> > Miles Fidelman wrote:
> >> So who is using Sheepdog in production?
> > Our subsidiaries are using it.
> >

> Can you elaborate just a bit.  At what scale, is it a long term commitment, how
> do you intend to support it?

The scale is less than 10 nodes, and they will finish using it in two years.
Our company will only fix critical bugs as long as sheepdog is in use by them.

> In asking, I'm thinking all those projects that started internally, then were
> open sourced in order to maintain a large user, and support, base.  Erlang
> comes to mind.

The sheepdog project was started from our laboratory and open sourced to become
a defacto standard distributed storage for VMs - there was no such software at
that time.  Currently, we can use Ceph for the purpose, and our company will no
longer provide development resources as before, unfortunately.

I wonder if we can keep sheepdog as a small implementation for others to create
a new distributed storage, or as a testbed to try distributed algorithms for
researchers.